Hartalika Teej Vrat and Puja Vidhi for unmarried women
The Tritiya Tithi, Shukla Paksha in the month of Bhadrapada (as per the Purnimant calendar) is celebrated as Hartalika Teej. On this day married women keep a vrat, worship Lord Shiva - Mata Parvati and seek their blessings for a blissful married life. On the day of the festival, unmarried women also do the vrat and the puja to wish for a suitable life partner or for fulfilling their cherished wish. Read on to know more about the Hartalika Teej Vrat and Puja Vidhi for unmarried women, date and other details.
First, one must understand why Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati are worshipped on this day.
Mata Parvati had performed intense penance and had worshipped Shiva Linga (that she made with her own hands) to win Shiva's heart. She wanted to marry Lord Shiva, and hence, to please him, she did the Tapasya. And in the end, Lord Shiva blessed her with the boon of becoming his wife. Click here to know the detailed purani kahani of Mahadev and Mata Parvati.
Unmarried women can keep two types of vrat. They can either go for Nirjala vrat (meaning fasting without water) or Phalhari vrat (wherein they can consume fruits). Once they decide what kind vrat to do, they can proceed with the preparation.
Hartalika Teej Vrat fasting rules for unmarried women
1) Rise early and take a bath.
2) Wear fresh and clean clothes.
3) Then do Sankalpa by taking the names of Mahadev and Mata Parvati. Sankalpa means vow. One must vow to themselves that they shall keep the vrat sincerely.
4) After Sankalpa, they can begin their vrat. Those who have opted for Nirjala vrat must not consume water while those who have kept a Phalhari vrat can eat fruits during the day.
5) The person keeping the vrat may chant the Shiva Mantras and listen to Shiv Parvati Bhajans.
6) Meanwhile, prepare three idols - one each of Lord Shiva, Mata Parvati and Lord Ganesha - with natural clay or sand. In the evening, before the puja, prepare the Panchamrit (mix about 2-3 teaspoons of milk, curd, honey, sugar and ghee). Make Halwa or kheer for bhog (Naivedya).
7) Subsequently, during Pradosh Kaal (the dusk) do the puja.
Hartalika Teej Puja Vidhi for unmarried women
1) Take a bath before performing the puja.
2) Then prepare the puja thaali. Click here for the list of puja samagri. Please note, unmarried girls must not offer suhag samagri because those are only meant for married women.
3) Light an oil lamp.
4) Offer water to the deities.
5) Then apply Chandan to the deities.
6) Offer datura, vilva to Lord Shiva, flowers to Mata Parvati and Lord Ganesha.
7) Then offer the Panchamrit.
8) Make the rest of the offerings (like clothes, fruits, paan supari) and the bhog.
9) Pray to Lord Shiva, Mata Parvati and Lord Ganesha and make a wish.
10) Then read the Hartalika Teej Vrat Katha.
11) Perform the aarti of Lord Ganesha, Mata Parvati and Lord Shiva one after the other with kapur (camphor).
12) Do Kshama Yachana meaning seek forgiveness for any mistake that you may have committed while performing the puja.
13) Then break the fast by consuming the bhog.
14) Once you begin the tradition of vrat, perform it year after year.