Delhi minister for cancellation of CBSE exams
New Delhi[ maha media ] Delhi education minister Manish Sisodia on Wednesday wrote to union Human Resource Development (HRD) minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ requesting him to cancel the plan of conducting the remaining CBSE board exams for classes 10 and 12 slated in July and promote all students based on their internal assessment citing rising cases of Covid-19 in the national capital.
Earlier on April 28, Sisodia had made a similar request with the HRD minister during a virtual meeting with state education ministers in view of the prevailing circumstances. However, the ministry on May 8 announced to conduct the pending 29 exams of classes 10 and 12 between July 1 and July 15.
In his letter addressed to Pokhriyal, Sisodia on Monday said, “I am writing to draw your attention towards my concern regarding the plan of CBSE to conduct the remaining exams of class 10 and 12 in July. I hope you would agree with me that the board exams, particularly those of class 12 are high stake exams for children. Hence, subjecting them to take this exam in such an uncertain and anxiety-prone situation would not be fair to them.”
Sisodia said that it will be extremely difficult to conduct exams in Delhi due to the rising COVID-19 positive cases on a daily basis. “During the last one week, the daily number of cases getting COVID-19 positive has been rising and the total number of confirmed cases now stands at 44, 688 (as of June 16). This is likely to rise to 5.5 lakh by July 31, 2020. In such a situation, if a candidate or someone in the family tests positive, he or she will have to skip the exam causing further distress,” he said in the letter.